Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Peek Only if you Dare.....




Yes...this is what it looks like. A lizard biting my hand so hard he is hanging in mid air? Some of you....may find this unusual. In our house...this is pretty much every day life! Here is the story for this little episode though.


As I was cleaning other parts of the house I heard a "thud". Not unusual in our house either so I went about my business. I finally got to Maddy's room and found the lizard cage once again knocked off the stand and upside down on the floor with a huge gray cat lurking over it like he'd just found some really nice treat! When I moved the cage to pick it up, "Speedy Gonzales" scatters away as fast as he can onto Maddy's stuffed animals. I calmly pick him up (I have years of experience with iguanas and as a vet assistant!).....but at the same time, all his live crickets are jumping around everywhere. So in one hand, I have "Speedy Gonzales" secure and in the other hand I am catching live crickets to put back in his cage. About then.....Smokey the cat (who I will add is about 18 lbs and as lazy and slow as they get.....UNTIL he sees something he really wants) snatches "Speedy" right out of my hand and runs into our kitchen with him. All the while I am chasing him with live crickets still in the other hand!!! I got to the kitchen where the cat was hiding with the lizard in his mouth and had to pry his mouth open (with ONE hand) and get the little fellow out! Well, this time he didn't know if I was the enemy or the angel. So he bit on the flesh between my thumb and forefinger. He was biting so hard (no, it didn't hurt and made no mark) that he would just hang in mid air. Mind you, I still have live crickets in my other hand. I thought, NO ONE is going to believe this......so I put the crickets back in the cage and of course my camera was handy....so I snapped these photos. I then cleaned up his cage, the mess on the floor and CLOSED her door so that it would not happen again. I believe if it happens a third time he may not survive!!! Those are some fast cats when something is on the loose! They just lay on that shelf and just watch him like he is a piece of tuna or something! So...she has GOT to keep that door closed and those cats out (they love to lay on her warm waterbed)...or the lizard will be no more.


Chris wrote to someone at work:

Green Lizard ~ $10.00
Sand for the lizard ~ $5.00
Cage for the lizard ~ $20.00
Food for the lizard ~ $1.00 per week
Getting photos sent to work of the lizard hanging off your wifes hand ~ PRICELESS

And he thinks I do nothing all day long! Praise the Lord Lyza was down for a nap. The entire time I was having this fiasco was supposed to be my "downtime"...."naptime"......but I had to pretend to be Steve Irwin for an hour while I caught the "beauty" and made its "habitat" livable again....then clean myself up! Never a dull moment!
Many, Many storms again tonight also. It was 72 degrees today! Nice day, but stormy as it gets. Supposed to stay this way until about 2 am. Flooding everywhere....Madisyn said they had to stop using their sinks, water fountains and bathrooms due to back ups. Gross.....probably won't be any school tomorrow if they don't get that fixed!!!

Have an enjoyable day! And hope it is better than mine was yesterday! Enjoy.....laugh, it is good for the soul! Even if it is at my expense!!!
~~ Misty

1 comment:

Becky said...

Can I just say - Eeeeewwwwwwww! I could deal with the lizard maybe, but live crickets -- YUCK! Juliana would have loved to have been apart of that scene however.